I always find muffins so versatile and as wholesome as you want them. You really can add and take out what you like of the below recipe as long as you have the right quantity of the basics and the consistency is a thick but moist mixture when you are spooning into your muffin tray.
So heres my creation…with many, many variations…
- 2 cups plain flour (use buckwheat flour if you prefer)
- 3/4 cup any kind of sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- half cup ground flaxseed (completely optional, just added for more wholesomeness)
- 1 cup shedded fennel (or just an extra cup of carrot it you don’t like/have fennel)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- half a cup grated apple (or pear or berries or mashed banana…)
- 1/2 cup raisins (or sultanas or dried cranberries)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds (I used walnuts)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (or ground almonds if preferred)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- half cup plain yoghurt (or flavoured if you think it goes with the rest of ingredients)
- Fold egg mixture in with the rest, mixing well but not overstirring, if its looking a little dry add some more yoghurt. Spoon into well greased muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven at 180C / 350F. My fan oven cooks them in 20mins, depending on the oven they may need up to 30mins. As long muffins bounce back when you touch them and are nice and golden on top.
- Now go and make yourself a nice cuppa and enjoy your creation. Would love to hear about what flavours you experimented with!